Thursday, June 25, 2009 | By: Tonya Keitt Kalule

Michael Jackson Will Never Be Forgotten

Gone Too Soon by Michael Jackson



T
he news of Michael Jackson's death traveled faster than the speed of light. It was reported that text messages were sent at a rate of 65,000 per second all across the world.


















People were gathering at UCLA hospital, his star on Hollywood Blvd. his family home in Encino, California, his present residence in Holmby Hills, California, the Apollo Theatre in New York City, and many many other places around the globe. The people are in shock and are very sad at the news of his death. The television programming came to a hault with breaking news of his death, and there was no more regular programming on most channels for the rest of the day.

I started this post on the day of his death but it is now three days later and there are still some cable channels that are running his videos all day long. For at least two consecutive days the television has been dominated by Michael Jackson, his life, his legacy, and unfortunately his troubles. I learned things while being glued to the television that I didn't know, and the one thing that resonates the most is that Michael is in the Guiness Book of World Records for contributing to the most charities of any celebrity. He gave millions of dollars to 39 charities. He donated his five million dollars earned on the Victory Tour to three different charities. This was the concert of the century


Michael not only made his mark as the King of Pop, but also as a Humanitarian. He broke color barriers around the world, he brought issues of inhumane practices around the world to the forefront,i,e, homelessness, hunger, sickness, and AIDS, and he spent a great deal of his time and money to help eradicate these issues for as many as he could. His favorite of all was sick children. He spent a great deal of his own money paying hospital bills of terminally ill children as well as helping their families, and granting the wishes of these children. Many of these children only wished to meet him, and that he did and more. He truly made the world a better place.



This was a great man that gave so much of himself to people of all races, of all colors, of all religions, and of all nationalities, and unfortunately he got a lot of dirt kicked in his face. There are many that are grateful for all of the sacrifices that he has made to be who he was.

It is hard to know where to start. Just remembering when I first saw The Jackson 5 on the Ed Sullivan Show when I was a little girl. The first concert they had in Savannah, Georgia when I was 12 years old and how my mother made my dress and I wore my first Afro. I took pictures of this concert with my instamatic camera and they were moving so fast on that stage that the picture came out a colorful blur. When I talked to Michael on the phone the next day after the concert, because he was staying at the Desoto Hilton, and I knew someone that worked there that put me through. How my bedroom was covered in posters of Michael and the Jackson 5. How I knew the words to every song, by stopping the record many times to write them down. This was before the days when they published the lyrics. When there were many neighborhood kids starting singing groups to be the next Jackson 5. It was an amazing time, and I didn't believe that it could get any more amazing, but little did I know. That this little fellow would later become the biggest thing the music industry has ever seen.




As he grew so did his message to the world. Some of these messages were of his loneliness and pain, and often addressed to those that continued to conflict this pain upon him. Then there were those beautiful messages that appeal to the heart, that appealed to all of mankind, to right the wrongs in this world. He challenged us to be kinder to one another, to reach out to those that needed us, to speak for those that had no voice, to just be HUMAN. He was a man that felt deeply the pain of others, because he felt deeply his own pain. I have learned when you are one that feels the hurt of what is going on in the world it becomes heavy and that heaviness often times becomes physical. His music was the only thing that made him happy, truly happy. Michael enjoyed children not only because he missed out on his own childhood, but because of their innocence, they were not tainted by hatred and prejudice, they experienced pure joy from life and that is always what he wanted to be around. That too made him a target for those that harbored hatred and greed.


Michael Jackson's Humanitarian Efforts 1979-2003


I want to thank Michael for what he gave to the world, for the joy he has given me in growing up in the same generation as he did, therefore allowing me to grow with him. Michael Joe Jackson, you are truly loved by many all over the world and you will be missed.

May You Rest in Peace my brother!



Update








July 7, 2009

Today was the memorial of Michael Joseph Jackson and it was the most touching thing that I have ever seen. It was beautifully done and it most definitely showed the world the human side of MJ, and that is something the world needed to see. Even though he was greatly loved by his fans for his music, but many never saw him with his family or his family with him. Today they got to see MJ as a child of God, a son, a brother, an uncle, a father, and a friend.
I never knew that the passing of a man that I didn't personally know would effect me the way that it has, but it has. I believe that God gave MJ not just the gift of music, but also the gift of love. The gift, as Brooks Shield put it, to see with his heart. It must have been a beautiful thing just to know him, I am thankful to know him from afar, and thankful to live in this time when he was (A) Present.






Michael Jackson's children

0 comments:

Post a Comment