Tuesday, November 4, 2008 | By: Tonya Keitt Kalule

The Greatest Historical Event of My Lifetime


Barack Hussein Obama, II has reached the mountaintop and he is taking the middle class with him. This man has a great deal of hard work ahead of him, and believe me I am not in the least bit envious, but I am so proud of him. There are few words to explain what Black Americans are feeling during this time, all you have been able to see around the country, are tears. Just as people of all races have been moved by Martin Luther King, Jr. they have most recently been just as moved by Barack Obama.
I keep hearing that there is just something special about this man. His demeanor and charisma is just contagious and we are feeling it through and through. The way people rallied around this man was more than just his oratorical abilities, his charm and good looks, or even his obvious intelligence and good judgment. Innumerable amounts of people of varied backgrounds gathered just to hear him, just to see him, just to occupy the same space where this feeling of hope radiates, it is almost biblical. He ignited a crusade of unflagging enthusiasm and many believe that this man was appointed by God, just as King was, and that is why so many are willing to follow him in a time when politicians have proven incessantly corrupt.
President Elect Obama has stated that this was not his victory, but the victory of the American people who have spoken. We have said, we no longer want the government of yesteryear, we want and need something different, something new, something fresh, and we have elected a man into the highest office of the land to lead us there. We now realize that our voices have been heard and only collectively can we restore this country.
To Black America, it means so very much more. It shows us that what our parents have told us over and over again is true, that with hard work and perseverance we can achieve anything. We no longer have an excuse for why we are not as progressive as we should be. We can no longer say that "the white man" is holding us back. Yes racism is still alive and well, but we are actually our biggest obstacle. Yes we have made a great deal of progress but there is so much more that we need to do, and the most important thing now is to be our brother's keeper. We need to reach out for our bothers and sisters, and collectively we can make such a difference. Again this election of our 44th President is proof.

In the past few years I have seriously considered leaving this country in search of something better. I no longer wanted to live in a country where the more money you earned the more you were forced to spend. I was in search of some peace and simple living, believing that there had to be something better, somewhere where the quality of life matters. Life in America began to look quite bleak to me, and I was just not willing to live the rest of my life in the same manner of which I have lived my past life. The cost of living had become so ridiculously expensive until it was paralyzing. It didn't matter whether I was financially capable or not, it would eventually require more. I no longer wanted to reach for the perceived beauty of things for that immediate gratification.
I yearn for a simple life with purpose, a life with joy, without creating enormous debt. I first started with self, re-evaluating what was really important to me, what I needed and what I didn't need. Minimizing the stuff around me became liberating. Barack has restored the promise of America to so many like myself, the belief that anything is possible, that you can actually reach your full potential, you can choose your own path, and for that I am grateful. I do realize that this promise does not come without individual sacrifice. For the first time I am very happy and very proud to be an American, where my voice count, where my needs matter, where I can make a difference. This is a pivotal point in the American story and I am elated to be able to take part in such a euphoric time in this country.
I intend to follow Obama's Administration closer than I have ever done with any other, I don't want to miss a thing. I am hoping that many others feel the same. Yes he will make mistakes and he will not be able to save us, but he gives us Hope, and with that inspiration, we will gain the strength to save ourselves.

Mr. President you and your family will be in my prayers daily.


Send Comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment